Pages

2.18.2010

University Hype

"Hey! How's it going? Good? Yeah, me too! I know, I hate school, too! I'm so sick of it, honestly. So, have you decided where you're going next year?" 

Everyone at, around, or over the age of 18 knows what I'm talking about. The moment you're the age when most people start getting ready to head off to university or college or whatever - even if you've got a few years of high school to go - this question will inevitably - and I mean inevitably - pop up in conversations. Often. It's as though, now that high school is almost over, it's time to talk about something that no one has any real clue about, but loves to discuss as though they do. For example:

"Oh my God, I'm so screwed for next year. I know nothing."
"Oh my God, I'm so screwed for next year. My marks suck." 
"Oh my God, I'm so screwed for next year. My study habits are atrocious."

And then there are the people who don't care about the actual academic aspect of going off to post-secondary school, but think that the only good thing in attending university or college is that they will then be faced with a minimum of four years full of nothing but a) drinking, b) partying, c) sex, sex, sex, and d) getting drunk at parties and having mindless, uninhibited sex with everyone in sight. I am being extremely cynical and stereotypical in this assumption, of course, but let's face it: people like this do exist.

That's not what bothers me about university hype, though. After all, for many people, post-secondary school is an opportunity for independence, a broadening of horizons, new experiences...all that good stuff that attracts the worst of students. No, what bothers me is the way people ask the question "What university are you going to go to?" Especially when they ask it at the beginning of the grade twelve year. Because how the hell are you supposed to know? Unless you've already applied, and already been accepted everywhere, and thus have your pick of schools, how the hell are you supposed to know where you're going to go? You may know where you want to go, or where you're going to apply, but that's an entirely different question (one that, of course, is discussed nonetheless).

The other option, of course, is that you know where you're going to go because you've decided to go somewhere you are 101% certain you will get in. If that's the case, then I have to wonder why you've decided to go to that school. After all, if you know for a fact that you will get in, why not try to aim higher? Why not stretch or challenge yourself? Of course, it may be that this precise school has exactly the program you want, or maybe it's really cheap (or is giving you a full scholarship or something), and is conveniently close to home, or a variety of other possible scenarios that could affect a person's decision. (I know someone who is incredibly smart - above 90 average for sure - but decided to go to a school that requires a really low average. But he's going to grad school, so his reasoning is that he'll save money over the four years of undergrad, be top of his class, and go to his choice of graduate schools. A pretty good argument, and I still say he should have gone to a better school.) Otherwise, I personally think it's not a good idea to just settle; everyone owes it to themselves to give it their all and strive for the best.

Before I get preachy, I'll continue my point. If you haven't been accepted to any university yet, how can you state where you are going to go? It irks me to no end. Oh, and the other thing that bothers me is when people try to convince you to go somewhere particular, some school that either a) they want to go to, or b) they think you SHOULD go to. Why? Why do people think they know what's best for you better than you do? I have decided that I want to go [here], therefore this is where I will go if I get in, so stop trying to convince me otherwise. No, I do not think that school is amazing. No, I do not think its campus is amazing. No, I do not think its programs are amazing. No, I do not think anything remotely related to it is amazing, so STOP BOTHERING ME ON THE SUBJECT.

To add to my endless list of annoyances, can I just ask why everybody feels the need to continuously and repeatedly talk about subjects related to post-secondary school? Seriously. Why? Is there nothing else to talk about? Are current events too dull for our tastes? Do our lives revolve around getting accepted to some school, and then go there to "pursue" our "dreams"? Are we not living our lives until we become freshmen at unis/colleges? Or WHAT? What is stimulating all this university talk? I understand being asked once or twice, but when the same people ask you the same question over, and over, and over again, I'd be surprised if you aren't ready to snap. Frankly, I see uni as yet another obstacle to overcome before we no longer have to worry about homework and being graded. Everybody else sees it as some doorway to another universe. Really? I mean, I guess if you chose a career path that actually requires a university degree - or multiple university degrees - then, sure, knock yourself out (something you're very liable to do at one point if you've decided to become a doctor or lawyer), but otherwise, stop sitting around on your butt, waiting for some professor or program to kick-start your life. If you know what you want to do, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. And talk about THAT, instead.

Don't get me wrong. I think that university should be a part of everyone's life at one point. Higher education is the only thing that will keep civilization civilized. High school curricula are dumbed down more and more every single year, so a graduate can't really consider him- or herself all that smart and accomplished anymore. University is the only thing that will really take learning to a new level, and even then, a bachelor's degree isn't all that special or respected anymore (even though it should be). We should continue getting an education after high school. Not necessarily till half our lives have flashed by, but at least until we get a good sense of the world, a good knowledge of something, a good base for our futures. It's just...can people please STOP TALKING ABOUT POST-SECONDARY EDUCATION? You'll have plenty of opportunity to do that once you GET THERE. Now, enjoy everything ELSE. Like the free time that you won't have in the future. And being able to manipulate teachers. And skipping class while not suffering for it. All that stuff that makes high school what it is.

On that note, hope all's well!
Aya

P.S. Sorry for the crudity of some of what I said...but it had to be done.

1 comment:

  1. The best is... and i probably get this EVERYDAY...
    "have you got accepted anywhere yet?" sure it's a little different then asking someone where are you going.. but when it's the same person asking the same question the next day..

    you shouldn't even bother apologizing for your crudity.. like last time.. it was pure honesty x]

    ReplyDelete